I removed the upper control arm with almost no
effort on the driver’s side. The passenger side
took a flame torch and an impact wrench. I sanded,
primed and painted the upper spring seat prior to
removing the upper control arm shaft, which yielded
to a pipe wrench.
Putting in the new shaft proved to be quite
challenging. With the taper end towards the rear of
the car, and oil on the threads, it went in most of
the way with just fingers. Then it got extremely
tight. I eventually got it centered by slicing two
of the old bushings into nuts. With one of the new
bushings paired with a home-made nut on each end of
the shaft, I was eventually able to work the shaft
into the spring, using two wrenches and all my
weight, until it was centered.
I need to add that real nuts with these (square)
threads do not seem to exist; I checked all over
with no avail.